MATCH REPORT: Harry Anderson’s second half strike gives Lincoln all three points at the New Lawn

Lincoln City had a lot of good memories playing Forest Green last season.

Victorious in both games, but now, Lincoln travelled to the New Lawn in the first encounter between the two sides in the new 2017/18 campaign.

The match began and first bit of action was a clash of heads between Lincoln defender Sean Raggett and Rovers forward Christian Doidge.

Raggett was adjudged to have fouled Doidge, but both players ended up receiving treatment for a substantial time.

There was a delay of around six minutes and the game eventually restarted.

The match was very stop-start with a considerable amount of stoppages. Mainly because of Sean Raggett, as his blood continue to flow out of his head wound he sustained in the opening stages.

Forest Green Rovers had the best opportunity of the game. It bizarrely came from Lincoln goalkeeper Paul Farman who was penalised for slow play. This resulted in an indirect free-kick for Forest Green just inside the Lincoln area.

But the set-piece was dealt with comfortably by the Lincoln defence.

Billy Knott had a good opportunity to score from a free-kick. His strike unfortunately sailed well over the bar.

The Imps continued to push for the opener and Sean Raggett had a good chance from a Billy Knott corner, but the header from the Lincoln defender was tipped over the bar by Rovers keeper Collins.

The last bit of meaningful action in what was a drab opening 45 minutes was a shot by Harry Anderson. Anderson’s low strike was well saved by Collins.

Half Time: Forest Green 0 Lincoln City 0

The Imps made one change at Half Time. Matt Rhead replaced Nathan Arnold.

Forest Green Rovers had the first chance of the second half. Lincoln cleared away a free-kick and it fell kindly to midfielder Liam Noble. Noble struck the ball goal-wards, but Farman was on hand to save comfortably.

Neal Eardley had a succession crosses met by two different Lincoln players. The first was Sean Raggett who headed towards goal but it was saved by Collins. The second cross found Harry Anderson, but his header went over the Forest Green bar.

Lincoln opened the scoring in the 65th minute and it was winger Harry Anderson. Anderson was the quickest to react to a long ball from Billy Knott. The Forest Green defence were unable to deal with the danger and Anderson was on hand to poke past Collins to give the Imps the lead.

Shortly after, Josh Ginnelly nearly doubled the lead for Lincoln. Ginnelly worked some space really well but his shot flew just wide of the post.

Paul Farman was called into action a few minutes later and he did well to deny Christian Doidge by tipping his effort over the bar.

Lincoln continued to nullify the Forest Green danger. Whether it was from open play, or a set piece, the Lincoln defence stood firm. Liam Noble swung in some dangerous deliveries but the Lincoln defence was rock solid and never looked like conceding.

The Imps held on after a nervy five minutes of additional time to make it back-to-back away wins.

Full Time: Forest Green Lincoln City 1

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: