MATCH REPORT: Lincoln edge past struggling Spireites

Lincoln City extend their unbeaten run to three games with a 2-1 victory over Chesterfield.

Two first half goals were enough for the Imps to earn all three points, in what was good overall performance.

Lincoln really came out of the traps in the first half. The Imps dominated the opening proceedings and Matt Green had a good early chance. The ball fell his way following an Ollie Palmer knockdown, but the Lincoln forward was prevented from shooting by some some last ditch defending.

Down at the other end, Neal Eardley showcased his excellent defensive awareness to cut out the away side’s counter attack, which looked like it would be a certain goal.

Ollie Palmer then had a great chance. The ball fell to Palmer in the penalty area but he was unable to sort his feet out to get the shot away.

Lincoln’s pressure and perseverance finally paid off in the 17th minute. Harry Anderson laid the ball back to Michael Bostwick and his first time shot deflected past former Lincoln goalkeeper Joe Anyon.

The Imps then doubled their lead in the 25th minute. Harry Anderson breezed past his man and he put in a low, driven cross. It looked destined to reach Jordan Maguire-Drew for an easy tap in, but Chesterfield defender Andy Kellett turned the ball into his own net.

A thoroughly deserved two goal lead for the Imps.

Chesterfield had the chance to find a reply from winning two free-kicks in quick succession on the edge of the Lincoln box. The first effort on goal went straight into the wall. The next free-kick was brilliantly saved by Lincoln keeper Josh Vickers. The Lincoln keeper acrobatically dived to his right and saved with an outstretched hand.

Chesterfield began to grow into the game and started to look very dangerous. They had a very promising spell towards the end of the first half, but the away side were unable to capitalise on the chances that fell their way.

Half time: Lincoln City Chesterfield FC 0

Harry Anderson continued to be a real threat in the second half. He skipped past his man once again but he was well denied by Joe Anyon at the near post. From the resulting corner, Raggett headed towards goal but Chesterfield were awarded a free-kick after a real scramble in the penalty area.

Matt Green had a quiet afternoon, but his highlight came in the 57th minute. Green rode a Chesterfield tackle and put in a delightful ball which was met by Ollie Palmer. Palmer’s header rattled the crossbar and the score remained 2-0.

Jordan Maguire-Drew put in another great corner, and this time he picked out Michael Bostwick at the back post. Bostwick’s header was on its way towards goal, only for it to be cleared off the line.

A few minutes later, Maguire-Drew had a good chance to give City a three goal advantage. More good work from Anderson saw the ball find Maguire-Drew free in the penalty area, but his header was never going to trouble the Chesterfield goalkeeper Anyon, who watched it sail aimlessly wide.

In the 81st minute Chesterfield won themselves a penalty. Krystian Dennis stepped up to the plate and he sent Josh Vickers the wrong way.

A nervy ending was in store as the Imps looked to hold onto the all important three points. Dennis’ late penalty proved to be a mere consolation and Lincoln were able to come away with the victory.

A dogged and hard fought win which keeps the Imps in the hunt for the Play-Off spots.

Full Time: Lincoln City Chesterfield FC 1

Attendance: 9485 (1124)


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: